Help with import feature.

Post support and help questions here.

Help with import feature.

Postby dsquared » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:51 pm

I am trying to set up foxyproxy on TOR Browser V7.5.3 which is based on Mozilla Firefox V52.7.3 ESR (32-bit) because it is based upon a pre Firefox V57.0 I am using Foxyproxy V4.6.5. When I try and import a file with proxy configuration nothing is imported. I have tried XML and TXT files - the result is the same. I have also tried exporting a test file and then importing that test file (XML) and still get nothing.
I am trying to import this https://*****thetinhat.com/tutorials/darknets/foxyproxy.xml*****.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: So I thought I would try the actual Firefox V52.7.3 ESR (32-bit) (which was released March 26, 2018 and is the most up to date version) and see if I could I had any better luck. Sadly the import feature does not work there either.
dsquared

Re: Help with import feature.

Postby ericjung » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:16 am

Hi, there is probably a problem with the foxyproxy.xml file. Your link was mangled by the forum software. Can you please email it to support@getfoxyproxy.org? One thing to look for is Javascript errors in the console (with developer debugging turned on). If there is a problem with the file, there will be JS errors in the developer debugging console.. but you must have debugging turned on for extensions.

thanks
ericjung
FoxyProxy Team
FoxyProxy Team

Postby ericjung » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:03 am

Hi,

Your foxyproxy.xml is fine. It's a bug with FoxyProxy 4.6.5 that was not fixed. The next version is 6.x fixes it but, unfortunately, it is not compatible with TorBrowser. So here's what to do:

Copy foxyproxy.xml manually into the Tor Browser / Firefox profile directory. This is not hard to do and it's all the import feature does -- copy a file from one place to another.

1. Find the location of the Tor Browser (firefox) profile. Instructions are here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data
In case that link is mangled or dead:
a. Start Tor Browser
b. Click the menu button in the upper-right (the "hamburger icon" as it is sometimes called)
c. Click the question mark icon (?)
d. Click the "Trouble Shooting" menu item
e. Under "Application Basics", look for "Profile Folder". ** This is the location to copy! On my macOS it's /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/TorBrowser-Data/Browser/some-random-letters-and-numbers.default/

2. Close Tor Browser

3. Copy foxyproxy.xml to the profile folder

4. Start Tor Browser again

Set FoxyProxy to "Use Proxies based on their pre-defined patterns and priorities"

This was briefly discussed at the end of viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1875
ericjung
FoxyProxy Team
FoxyProxy Team

Postby dsquared » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Unfortunately that did not work.
dsquared

Postby ericjung » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:00 pm

That's not enough information to be helpful. It works for me in multiple tests. Can you please give me the directory name into which you copied foxyproxy.xml?
ericjung
FoxyProxy Team
FoxyProxy Team

Postby dsquared » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi again:

I am running Windows 10 Home 64 bit V 1709. I am using TOR Browser V7.5.3 (32 bit) which is installed to the my desktop. I copied the file into C:\Users\D***\Desktop\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Browser\profile.default\. Which I got from the Troubleshooting Information page in Tor.
dsquared

Postby ericjung » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Did you copy the file to that directory while Tor browser was closed? If you did, I have no other help I can offer. It works for me.

Out of curiosity, why are you using 32-bit tor instead of 64-bit?
ericjung
FoxyProxy Team
FoxyProxy Team

Postby dsquared » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:43 am

Thank you for your assistance. Yes, I copied the file after I exited TOR. The TOR project only releases a 32 bit windows version of its browser, which is weird, because there is a 64 bit version of Firefox ESR...
dsquared

Return to Help and Support