Is FP supposed to reset my cookie preferences?

Post information about bugs here.

Is FP supposed to reset my cookie preferences?

Postby viking123 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Because mine does. At least it does in Firefox 11. As of the upgrade, I am annoyingly receiving third-party cookies again. I've narrowed it down to FoxyProxy.

Here's what happens:
As soon as any website is loaded, the network.cookie.cookieBehavior line in my prefs.js file is deleted, thereby allowing all cookies.
If FoxyProxy is disabled (completely, not a whitelist/blacklist thing) this does not happen.
viking123

Re: Is FP supposed to reset my cookie preferences?

Postby kf2vv » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:02 am

Also happening here; downgrading to 3.5 restores the expected behaviour. (Not too surprising; there's a bunch of new cookie-handling code in 3.6.) I'm also running Firefox 11, on an up-to-date Ubuntu Lucid machine.
kf2vv

Postby gkoppen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:01 am

No, it should not do this! Sorry for this invonvenience that is a bug that slipped through our QA. As a workaround: Disable FoxyProxy reset your old cookie preferences and enable it again. That just need to be done once and afterwards your settings should be honored again. It seems that we need a bugfix release anyway due to other reasons and that will contain the fix for this issue as well.
gkoppen
FoxyProxy Team
FoxyProxy Team

Postby gkoppen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:57 am

This should be fixed in FP Standard 3.6.1 and FP Basic 2.6.1 which I just uploaded to AMO for review.
gkoppen
FoxyProxy Team
FoxyProxy Team

Postby gjaekel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:45 pm

As a workaround: Disable FoxyProxy reset your old cookie preferences and enable it again. That just need to be done once and afterwards your settings should be honored again.

This workaround don't work for me - after re-enabling FoxyProxy, the Privacy Settings are reset to "Firefox will remeber history" and "Accept cookies from sites" is enabled again if i switch to "Use custom settings for history".

I'm very appalled about FoxyProxy is silently manipulating such sensitive settings! If it's a bug, it's a serious one and FP3.6 should be immediately withdrawn!
gjaekel

Postby gjaekel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Update: I just found that i'm able to install FP3.6.1 before the review of Mozilla finished via your "older version" page.

But even with this version, the bug still appear on my FF11.0. And the described workaround don't help, again. But when falling back to FP3.5, the bug vanish, i.e.the cookie settings stay untouched.

If i may support your bug fixing by sending any details, please contact me.
gjaekel

Postby gkoppen » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:37 am

What are your steps to reproduce the problem? I tested along the following lines:

1) I created a new profile
2) installed FP 3.5
3) activated FoxyProxy (i.e. used Default mode)
4) disabled all cookies in FF's options menu
5) updated FP to 3.6 which reset my preferences
6) disabled FP
7) disabled all cookies in FF's options menu again
8) enabled FP in version 3.6 and the cookie preferences were untouched

Can you reproduce your issue following the above mentioned steps? If so, what OS are you using? I tested that on Win7 and Linux.
gkoppen
FoxyProxy Team
FoxyProxy Team

Postby ben0xa » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:19 pm

I can confirm this bug. This was driving me nuts for the past few days. When I went into FF safe browsing the bug disappeared so I knew it was an add-on. I disabled all add-ons and manually enabled them one at a time. When I enabled FP and restarted Firefox the cookie settings were reverted to Accept All Cookies. This appears to only happen when you have both NoScript and FoxyProxy installed.

Per my analysis, it looks like it has to do with the xml option of origCookieBehavior="0" in the defaultPrefs node. This will override whatever settings you have in FF11. If you set this to "2" it will always be "2" at each restart regardless of your last settings when you close Firefox.

Note: When you install each by itself, this bug doesn't exist. Once you install both Add-Ons, this bug appears.

Steps to reproduce:

1.) Create New Profile
2.) Install FoxyProxy 3.6
3.) Click Restart Firefox
4.) Choose "Use proxies based on their pre-defined patterns and priorities"
5.) Install NoScript 2.3.5
6.) Click Restart Firefox
7.) Open Firefox Options
8.) Select Privacy Tab
9.) Select "Firefox will: Use custom settings for history"
10.) Uncheck all checkboxes
11.) Restart Firefox
12.) Accept Cookies from sites will be enabled again.
13.) Uncheck Accept Cookies
14.) Restart
15.) Accept Cookies from sites will be enabled again.
16.) Disable FoxyProxy 3.6 AddOn
17.) Uncheck "Accept Cookies from sites" options in Privacy
18.) Restart Firefox
19.) Option is saved.

To Fix:

Disable FoxyProxy or do not use the "Use proxies based on their pre-defined patterns and priorities" option.

I am assuming that NoScript is interacting with FoxyProxy in some way or vice-versa which is causing this bug.
ben0xa

Postby gjaekel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:02 pm

ben0xa wrote:
This appears to only happen when you have both NoScript and FoxyProxy installed.
[...]
Note: When you install each by itself, this bug doesn't exist. Once you install both Add-Ons, this bug appears.

but i don't use NoScript.

@gkoppen: I'm running FF11.0 on Mint-Linux (3.0.0-16-generic #28-Ubuntu x86_64). I'm just using a few add-on's (Addblock Plus, Chatzilla, Firebug withFirecookie, FoxyProxy, XMarks), and the bug appears as soon as FoxyProxy 3.6 is enabled. I'm using FoxyProxy with some Patterns to route a bunch of sites via a vpn tunnel to an internal test stage.
gjaekel

Postby ericjung » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 am

There's definitely some bug that we haven't nailed down yet. 3.6 has been disabled at addons.mozilla.org, and we're working on disabling 3.6.1 (which only contained a partial fix). Sorry for the trouble... we'll have a fix ASAP.

eric
ericjung
FoxyProxy Team
FoxyProxy Team

Next

Return to Bugs